A Look Back at 2015...
As 2015 comes to an end and a new year is upon us, we want to take a moment to recap a few of the moments that made this past year at TMC Transportation a special one.
- In January, we introduced TMC Home Team Facebook page. This trucking group is geared toward providing support to the wives, partners, and significant others of our hard-working truck drivers. Partners can provide solace, tips, and a sense of community for other trucking families. The initial switch to the trucking lifestyle may be difficult, and the TMC family provides support throughout this transition. The Facebook group has over 200 members as of yet, all of who love a TMC truck driver.
- Each year, a driver is honored with the Wheel Master distinction based on years of service with the company, safe driving record and overall quality of performance. In the Spring, long-time driver Danny Cagle was named the 2014 Wheel Master. Wheel Master is a prestigious honor that recognizes only the best of the best truck drivers in the flatbed fleet.
- TMC was recognized as a Apprenticeship Leader at the U.S. Department of Labor’s White House Upskill Summit that took place in Washington D.C. in April. There were over twenty other companies being recognized for committing to a successful apprenticeship program. Inexperienced Class A drivers can find success beginning their truck driving career at TMC through out Apprenticeship program. Our drivers receive paid on-the-job training through driving instructors, driver trainers, and additional ongoing mentorship. They have the opportunity to transition into a career in which actual training time is relatively short compared to the earning potential. As a result, drivers can achieve a fast-track entrance into a career that offers a healthy income.
- TMC Transportation is consistently acknowledged for our commitment to hiring military Veterans. We are one of the first trucking carriers to qualify as a VA Approved Apprenticeship program. In addition to our quality Apprenticeship program, it got a little sweeter this year for Military Veterans with the recent bump in the VA payout. The payout amount has increased from $1,357.00/month to $1,407.00/month! Our Apprenticeship program is VA Approved for up to two years, meaning that with these increases eligible military Veterans, who take advantage of the full two year program, could earn a little over $23,000 from the VA in addition to their TMC paycheck!
- Our annual Driver Appreciation Week festivities took place in September with a variety of activities, contests, and prizes geared toward appreciating our professional flatbed truck drivers (inexperienced, recent CDL graduates, new drivers, experienced drivers, etc.) that keep TMC moving toward success. One TMC driver even took home a 55-inch Smart TV courtesy of Allstate Peterbilt Group. We thank our other sponsors for their help, including The Pete Store, Power Train, Electronic Funds Source, and many more!
- Once again, TMC was present in full force at the annual Special Olympics Convoy held in Des Moines. Our professional truck drivers and their families had a great time representing TMC Transportation in what is known as the ‘World’s Largest Truck Convoy’.
- October marked our second anniversary of becoming an employee-owned company. We also celebrated National Employee Ownership Month with exciting events and activities for our employee-owners to participate in. As an employee-owned company, now ALL of our eligible employees are part-owners at no cost to them through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP.) This comes in the form of a long term retirement savings plan. This plan is similar to a 401(k), which we also offer our employees, except unlike a 401(k) our employees do not have to contribute any of their own money.
- On the 21st of October, TMC had the incredible honor of pulling the Vietnam Memorial Wall half-scale replica, “The Wall That Heals,” into a ceremony celebrating Vietnam Veterans at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Tenured TMC driver and Vietnam Veteran, David Wheeler, was the force behind this honorable task.
- In November, TMC held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Indianapolis terminal. The new state-of-the-art facility will house office space, a massive shop, as well as a driver lounge. The TMC terminal in Brownsburg will also house driver training, safety, permits, logistics and operations as well as HR and IT functions.
- Finally, we rounded out the year with some good old-fashioned office fun as we celebrated the holidays. (Did you know our drivers are guaranteed Christmas and Thanksgiving home with family? Find out more!)
This past year - 2015 - was certainly a year to remember. We are proud to have so many opportunities to interact with our active Military and Veterans, and this year was full of these! We can’t wait to see what 2016 has to bring. From our family to yours, Happy New Year!