Back to School Means Sharing the Road
It’s that time of year again: Back to School!
Morning and afternoon commutes will start to pick up, especially in school areas. This will include buses making their way to pick up and drop off kids. We wanted to take the time to remind drivers, whether they have four wheels or 18, to be safe and alert on the road, especially in school zones.
Some important points to keep in mind are:
- Speed zone limits go into effect.
- Slow down to the posted speed and execute caution around intersections where kids might be crossing the street.
- Practice defensive driving around school buses.
- NEVER pass a school bus (in either direction) when lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended.
- Do not pass a bus on the right side where children board and exit the bus.
- Do not pass other vehicles in school zones.
- Drive distraction free.
- Avoid talking and texting on cell phones.
Here is a message from Josh Perry, one of TMC’s Safety Managers:
“It’s hard to believe, but summer is winding down and several schools are getting ready to start, if they haven’t already. Remember to scan the road and surrounding areas when you are in school areas. Reduce your speed and expect the unexpected. Always think of your little one walking down the sidewalk or getting off the bus, and your spouse taking them to school. How do you expect others to drive around your loved ones? It is your job to drive to those standards as well. At TMC, we ‘school’ other fleets in the country on safety, and we want you to help keep it that way.”